Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Washington Monument reopens for visitors.

Last week the Washington Monument reopened for visitors after an earthquake in 2011 caused more than 150 cracks in the structure.  I remember feeling the quake even here in Raleigh 250 miles to the south.  My daughter recognized it immediately.  "Earthquake!!!" she yelled.  I thought it to be just a large truck that went by the house.   Back in 2012, the family went up to DC to see my wife's sister and do a little sightseeing.  I had forgotten about the scaffolding that was being built up around the monument, but fortunately a fog bank rolled in early one morning and I was able to capture the monument without seeing any of the scaffold that was already halfway up the structure.  Made for a nice image.

1 comment:

  1. Stunning capture.

    Ethereal - and takes my breath away.

    (When a Cosmic Force is your assistant, I guess it figures!)

    ReplyDelete