Thursday, April 24, 2014

Painting as an extension of my photography... an ongoing investigation.



A little over a year ago, I offered to take my now 84 year old father to a painting class at the local adult center near where we live.  There have been numerous artists on his side of the family, notably my cousin Tim Dolby who has exhibited throughout England, and my great Uncle John who I remember started painting in his 70's, producing some beautiful works that my family still own today.  My 14 year old daughter has a natural drawing ability that is far beyond her years and I'm hoping that she continues to explore her gift.   Either way it has been a great opportunity to spend time with my Dad...get him out of the retirement community to socialize with a variety of people.  It's been good for me too.   My own work from the class has been described as primitive, but I can live with that.  I have really enjoyed a new hobby which in a lot of ways has influenced my photography, not to mention given me a less digital and more hands on pastime.   The paintings I have shown here are what I have produced so far.  Mostly exercises, but trying to cultivate the craft of putting paint to canvas in a way that is believable, but also trying to add my own touch.  It's not easy, but I now look at everything in a more discerning way.  How would I translate that scene as a photograph?  How would I translate that scene as a painting?  I ask both questions now, and it's been eye opening.







No comments:

Post a Comment