Thursday, April 4, 2013

DC & Potomac Fog

2 years ago I ventured into downtown DC early before sunrise, parked on the mall, jumped on my bike and then tooled around photographing many of the monuments and landmarks as the sun came up.  For some reason I never did get a decent shot of the Washington monument.  So this week I thought I'd venture down again and do a similar excursion.  I had forgotten of course that the Washington monument was still being repaired from the damage caused by the earthquake last year.  Although mostly repaired, scaffolding was still 1/3 of the way up the monolith.  I decided to go down anyway early Monday to capture other sites...only to be driving through a thick fog along the Washington parkway.  Getting there I found I could no longer park along the mall as it is more restrictive than ever.  I head up towards the monument and right there was a parking space.  The fog was thick, but miraculously it only covered up the scaffolding.  I jumped out and got a quick frame before it was completely enveloped in a think soup.  Fearing I would be towed, I jumped back in the car and started heading toward the Jefferson memorial only to find myself heading out of town on to I-395.  I knew enough to know it was heading me back towards where I was staying in Alexandria, so I decided to get back on the parkway that ran south down the Potomac.  I pulled off at several spots and as luck would have it gave me ample opportunity to create some memorable images.  Both the "Dock Light" and the "Osprey Nest" are my favorites of the morning.  The lesson is that one just has to adapt to changing conditions and find what is there.  Even had time for a good cup of Joe at Starbucks in old town Alexandria.





No comments:

Post a Comment